Saturday, January 24, 2015

DIY: Clothing Labels


Until recently I had no idea how much prep went into starting school (buying uniforms, backpack, school supplies, lunch and afternoon tea prep to name a few. I thought I had everything under control until I read the kindergarten manual again the other day. I completely forgot that I have to label all those uniforms, backpack, school supplies and lunch tupperware! After searching the internet for a company that makes cute and affordable clothing name tags I gave up. The cute ones were way too expensive (over $30 shipped) and the cheap ones were just that, cheap. So I came up with a very inexpensive and easy alternative. I made my own! For more photos and directions on how to make your own clothing name tags, click below.



I had some left over printable iron on transfer paper for fabric from the advent calendar bags I made for Christmas, so this was a really affordable project. I had everything already on hand. To make your name tags you'll need:

  • Printable iron on transfer paper for fabric (I've found the best prices on eBay and Amazon)
  • Cotton ribbon
  • Iron
  • Printer
Step 1: Design your labels. I used Microsoft Word label wizard (return address size). You can get about 80 labels on one sheet.

Step 2: Following the directions on the transfer paper, print your labels. MAKE SURE YOU PRINT MIRROR IMAGE.



Step 3: Cut out your labels and iron them onto your ribbon. You may need to apply a lot of pressure to insure the ink completely transfers. Once the ribbon is cool, cut out your labels. 


Step 4: Either hand or machine sew your labels onto your little one's clothes. 


The transfers hold up really well in the wash and won't fade or wash off. 

Happy Labelling!

1 comment:

  1. This is my first time visit here. From the tons of comments on your articles,I guess I am not only one having all the enjoyment right here!
    Bridesmaid Dresses

    ReplyDelete